On Wednesday, November 15, 2017, six house Democrats filed five Articles of Impeachment against President Donald Trump.
The five Articles consist of:
- Obstruction of justice regarding the Russia investigation and firing of FBI Director James Comey
- Violation of Article I, Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution – Foreign Emoluments
- Violation of Article II, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution – Domestic Emoluments
- Undermining the Independence of the Federal Judiciary and the Rule of Law
- Undermining Freedom of the Press (Fake News!)
Now before we get hype and think that is all it takes to get Trump out of the White House, we must remember how the impeachment process works. First, a majority vote must pass within the House of Representatives based on the Articles presented. After the charges of misconduct are filed, the Senate has the power to try impeachment cases like a court. Two-thirds of the senators must vote for conviction.
With that said, Democrats are not the majority party in Congress, so getting a majority vote is a long shot. However, I see this move as a snapshot of things to come. Impeachment may not be the final answer as Vice President Mike Pence would be next in line, but this shows people in the government are tired of whats going on and are making efforts to change it. Fingers crossed.
Malcom X. Bowser is a writer, curator, and founder of Urban X.